Sofa season has arrived and we’re ready to settle in. Yes, that’s right, after a wonderful summer of living outdoors, shorter days and cooler evenings are calling us back inside. Whether you’re snuggling in front of Strictly, lounging with the papers or chilling out and chatting with friends, it’s officially time to put your feet up.
The perfect sofa is an investment that needs to fit your home and your lifestyle so we’ve put together some expert advice to make it easier to curl up in comfort. While it’s tempting to dive in and think about colour and “Should we go classic or contemporary?”, we recommend getting the practicalities out of the way first.
The scale of the room will influence your scheme. Would a sofa work well or might a love seat and a footstool be better, for example?
- Plan where you want your new sofa to sit and measure the space carefully. These dimensions will mean you choose the right length, depth and height of design.
- As well as being able to move around the room, you’ll also need to open the drawers on your sideboard and get to the book shelf so think about any other furniture that’s already in the room.
- If doorways are narrow, then consider this in your choice – split sofas can make delivery easier.
Comfort & Quality
A crowd pleaser, our Nebraska is ideal for relaxing with family and friends.
It goes without saying that when you’re relaxing, quality and comfort are key. You want the furniture you love to last and be able to take everything life throws at it. Bear the following in mind before you make any decisions:
- Using kiln-dried hardwood in the frame makes it robust and checking that joints are screwed and glued will mean your sofa won’t squeak, creak or warp.
- It’s also important to ask about seat construction. Rather than using fabric webbing that can stretch and sag, look for seat cushions which are supported by heavy gauge serpentine springs. These will ensure the seat cushions are well supported and help with shape retention and overall comfort.
- If you prefer something that’s low maintenance but still super comfy go for a sofa that doesn’t need you to plump the cushions.
- You want lounging to be as laid-back as possible which is why you won’t want to worry whether putting your feet up is going to damage your sofa. Choosing genuine leather upholstery or a great quality fabric will mean your sofa looks as good as it feels, day after day.
Knowing you’re set on a sofa that has enduring quality and scores high in the comfort stakes, you’re ready to think about the fun part.
Sofa Shapes and Styles
Sofas with style and substance – Cooper’s striking design is matched by its superb comfort and build quality.
While some of us are drawn to fresh clean lines and a modern Scandi or mid-century look; others want to sink into a more traditional high back sofa or stretch out on a versatile, modular pillow-back. There’s masses of choice but here are some ideas to get you started…
Gainsborough’s generous proportions means everyone’s welcome to unwind.
After furniture for an awkward corner? Left hand, right-hand or corner sofas are a clever solution that let style and comfort take centre stage while helping you make the most of your space.
Morgan is a popular choice for both style and practicality
Offering even more flexibility to play around with the layout, modular designs are great in open plan areas or for busy families where people are constantly coming and going. So you can customise your scheme, look for armchairs and footstools in the same styles so you pick and choose the pieces that best suit your space and needs.
Guests will feel at home on our Orion sofa bed: it’s cosy, smart and stylish all rolled into one.
Guest rooms often double up as a home office or other functional spaces but this doesn’t mean visitors have to make do with a blow-up mattress: a sofa bed is a brilliant solution. Their dual purpose means you want them to be as cosy to sleep on as they are to sit on. Quick and easy to use, with its simple click-clack action that turns the back into a bed base. Upholstered in a linen-look textured material that’s soft and durable
The inviting, comfortable style of our Clayton sofa is finished in 100% leather.
Both stylish and practical, leather sofas are easy to care for and, provided they’re well made, they’ll age beautifully. Ours are carefully built using pocket springs to support the cushions which makes them even comfier and more durable. We offer a range of styles in different finishes and always ensure the whole sofa is upholstered in the best quality leather so it looks great however you position it.
The Grayson is the perfect sofa to relax after a long busy day
Kick back and relax at the touch of a button. Our electric recliners use the highest quality steel mechanisms and motors. Their space saving design, means the sofas and chairs can be used close to a wall with only a marginal gap needed for clearance.
Try Before you Buy
We want you to be smitten your new sofa. You can do all the research but nothing beats taking a seat and getting comfy. Set aside some time to visit us in-store and we’ll help you put together a shortlist of sofas to try.
Need some inspiration? With masses of sofas, armchairs, loveseats and footstools to choose from, browse online and explore our brilliant collection of unique designs.